Article from Gourmantic online magazine covering restaurants, bars, spirits and travel.
How to Spot a Whisky Nerd in 12 Easy Steps
- The whisky nerd is male, in his mid-20s to late 30s (though this affliction has been spotted in the early 40s) who once had an epiphany when he stared into his lonely Glencairn glass for too bloody long.
- He’s no brand ambassador (he’d like to think he is) but you’ll easily spot him wearing a tweed jacket even on a stinking hot day, a flat cap, a tie, and on occasion, a vest with a bow tie and a hanky in the jacket pocket.
- He will no doubt carry with him a moleskin (or equivalent) where he writes tasting notes, in calligraphy, that are a cross between poetry and someone who’s sniffed too much oak or other substances.
- He waxes lyrical about the right type of glassware for his dram and loses his shit when someone serves him a single malt in anything but his favourite glass.
- To be safe, he carries a Glencairn glass with him at all times. Soon, he will upgrade to a Denver & Liely glass. That’s what he will tell you.
- He’s a loner and on the odd occasion he goes to a whisky bar, he will complain about everything (noise, chit chat, background music, cocktail making and other patrons – how obnoxious!) because it all gets between his indulgent self and his contemplative dram.
For the remaining 6 steps – please click here for the full article on Gourmantic website.