GlenWyvis Distillery is nestled beneath the sprawling mass of Ben Wyvis mountain in the Scottish Highlands. This Highland distillery claims to be Scotland’s first community-owned, fully sustainable distillery and was opened in late 2017.
The GlenWyvis name is an amalgamation of the lost distillery names Ben Wyvis and Glenskiach, both of which closed in 1926. Its founder John McKenzie comes from the local town of Dingwall and after retiring from the army, returned to the area as a commercial helicopter pilot with a dream to bring a community-owned distillery to life.
“Thousands of people have come together to create GlenWyvis. Together, we are all part of one community. If we can create something that inspires even the smallest of like-minded actions, where people unite behind a common cause so they too can achieve their dreams and build a more sustainable world, then we will have realised ours — a local spirit that inspires the world.” John McKenzie, founder
GlenWyvis started producing its first single malt whisky in February 2018 under the watchful eye of master distiller, Duncan Tait (pictured below).
The first batch of whisky will be released to shareholders as a three-year-old in the summer of 2021 – as part of their investment rewards. There may be some limited releases thereafter to the general public until such time as they are ready to release a standard bottling. The GlenWyvis long-term vision is on 8yo and 10yo as the first major releases.
The GlenWyvis 2020 Private Cask Offer is now open to the public. The digital copy of their Private Cask Offer document can be found by clicking on this link, including all terms and conditions.
The following casks are available to purchase:
- 1st Fill European Sherry Hogshead which holds approximately 250 bulk litres of new make spirit. The cost of ownership will be £4,500
- American Oak Refill Hogshead which holds approximately 250 bulk litres of new make spirit. The cost of ownership will be £4,000
- 1st Fill American Standard Barrel which holds approximately 200 bulk litres of new make spirit. The cost of ownership will be £3,500
- 1st Fill European Sherry Quarter which holds approximately 110 bulk litres of new make spirit. The cost of ownership will be £2,000
- 1st Fill European Sherry Firkin which holds approximately 55 bulk litres of new make spirit. The cost of ownership will be £1,200