TITLE: Tasting Room Manager
ABOUT FREELAND SPIRITS
Based in Portland, OR Freeland Spirits is one of the first women owned and operated distilleries in the world. Creating delicious gin and whiskey, our small and nimble team celebrates diversity, excellence and creativity.
Awarded Best Distillery in Portland by Willamette Week, the Tasting Room at our distillery functions as the beating heart of Freeland Spirits. It is the place where most of our customers first discover us, and are turned into lifelong fans through our award winning spirits, exceptional hospitality, and experience. Our tasting room and events team take pride in educating customers on our spirits/distillation, and creating delicious cocktails and tasting flights that highlight our spirits. We strive to foster a welcoming, inclusive, inspiring, and fun environment for all.
The Tasting Room Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of our tasting room, event space, and off site events. This position plays a vital role in hiring and training new employees, responding to and resolving customers inquiries/complaints, drawing up weekly schedules, keeping up to date inventory, ordering for bar/tasting room/merchandise, and assisting with promotions and event planning. This person must be able to confidently deliver performance feedback, set goals, foster teamwork, and clearly communicate business objectives. Must be well organized, self motivated, disciplined, outgoing, and passionate about our customer and staff experience.
The successful candidate is well-versed in leading a team and delivering exceptional customer service in a fast-paced f&b/retail/event environment that operates 7 days a week. Passion, positivity, flexibility, independence, ingenuity, detail orientation, direct communication and courage are required attributes. Interest in developing and growing as a part of the Freeland team is also a prerequisite. Hospitality/retail sales experience in spirits/wine/beer is a plus.
- Reports directly to the Director of Hospitality & DTC Sales
- Manage daily activities of the Freeland Tasting Room and events to achieve revenue goals and ensure the highest level of customer service
- Communicate updates and important tasks with tasting room staff on a daily or as needed basis
- Manage, coach, and develop team members in accordance with company policies
- Manage and support all tasting room and event staff including Tasting Room Leads and Event Coordinator
- Establish an atmosphere of teamwork and team culture to build positive employee relations
- Guide staff on projects including production of Fresh mixers, cleaning/maintenance, spirits and cocktail education
- Responsible for scheduling interviews/hiring FOH staff, new hire orientation, training, supervision, and performance evaluations
- Collaborate with Director on events, menu development, and Fresh cocktail mixers
- Maintain inventory and weekly ordering of tasting room supplies including retail items, food and beverage menu items, cleaning supplies, office supplies, etc.
- Ensure that POS systems and ECommerce site are up to date with current inventory
- Consistent presence as the on-floor manager as much as possible
- Maintain clean and organized tasting rooms, office spaces, and storage shelves
- Leads or assists in overall property facility and maintenance and vendor management
- Coordinate and collaborate with back of house to ensure seamless operations
- Ensure all policies and procedures are being followed by tasting room staff
- Deliver exceptional customer service and correspond with customer inquiries via email within 48 hours
- Manage new procedures, menu rollouts, product releases, events, training, and all ordering/inventory
- Assist Director with management of ecommerce/Portland shop page, Freeland Fan Club, Free Spirit program, and donations
- Schedule delivery drivers and stay on top of special delivery requests and issues
- Schedule tasting room and event staff weekly on When I Work
- Support with shipping needs, including packaging or taking runs over to FedEx
- Collaborate with management team on creative ideas for tasting room, social media, events, and cocktail kits to boost brand awareness and sales
- Attend weekly meetings with Event Coordinator, Tasting Room Leads, Director, and other departments as needed to meet business objectives
- Assist with events and event planning as needed
- Run errands and complete tasks assigned by Freeland leadership
- Be the point person for any coverage in events or tasting rooms and cover any shifts that cannot be filled by other staff
- Help facilitate and develop all distillery experiences and events including tours, cocktail classes, private events and tastings
- Other duties as assigned, including leading or participating in growth and new ventures
- Must be committed to equity for all
- Be over 21 years of age, and willing to acquire OLCC service permit prior to start date
- 7+ years of previous hospitality, events, and/or wine/beer/distilled spirits experience
- 3+ years of management experience in hospitality, tasting room specific hospitality experience preferred
- 2+ years of craft bartending or mixology experience
- Proficiency in restaurant POS systems Square, Upserve/Lightspeed, and Shopify
- Cash handling and multi POS experience
- Have knowledge of craft spirits and the distilling process
- Weekend and evening shifts required; must have flexible availability
- Have reliable transportation for occasional errands and offsite events
- Compassionate and kind demeanor with social tact and proven conflict management skills
- Time management focus with discerning prioritization
- Focus on food and environmental safety with high standards for sanitation protocols
- Able to lift and move 50 lbs
- Must be able to stand and walk for most of the work day
DESIRED SKILLS, ATTITUDE AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Skilled attention to detail, punctuality, ability to multitask, and public speaking skills that are tailored and committed to company culture and brand promotion
- Self-management skills and a positive work ethic with ability to both follow instructions/procedures and also infer needed tasks independently
- Flexible towards ongoing company growth and change
- Ability to work both independently and constructively as a cooperative team
- Professional, but relaxed service approach
This is a salaried position with a competitive wage that is dependent on experience. Other benefits include paid vacation and health benefits.
We are accepting applications until the position is filled. If interested, please submit a cover letter detailing your relevant experience and interest in working at Freeland Spirits, your resume, and 3 references to with Tasting Room Manager in the subject line.
Freeland Spirits will not discriminate and will take “affirmative action” measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, creed, color, national origin, or sex.
To apply for this job please visit poachedjobs.com.