Senior Manager Public AffairsWhat makes this a great opportunity?
The Senior Manager of Public Affairs – Scotland, UK role will focus on government relations in Scotland and the United Kingdom. They will have primary responsibility for advocating on behalf of Beam Suntory on legislative and regulatory issues in this market. They will work with the Scotch Whisky operating unit and brand teams on creating an external environment that will help deliver on the growth ambitions of the company.What makes this a great opportunity?
- Beam Suntory is a world leader in premium spirits and a major producer of Scotch Whisky, owning and operating five distilleries across three producing regions. This includes brands such as Teacher’s, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Auchentoshan and Glen Garioch. Beam Suntory is the #1 producer of Bourbon and Japanese Whisky and the #1 producer of Islay Single Malt Scotch Whiskies.
- Over the next decade Beam Suntory will make major investments in our Scotch Whisky brands, production footprint and commit to a comprehensive sustainability programme focusing on CO2 reduction and land regeneration.
- To support this transformation we are looking for a (Senior Public Affairs Manager, Scotland, UK) to support our Scotch Whisky and gin manufacturing and brand leadership with public affairs and stakeholder management. This is one of the most exciting roles in the UK public affairs industry providing the opportunity to support some of the most iconic, fastest-growing and exciting spirits brands.
- This role will report to the Senior Director, Public Affairs – EMEA & SA and will be positioned to have an immediate impact on the dynamic public policy issues facing the spirits industry in Scotland and the UK today.
Outcomes and Success Criteria
- Navigate and influence a complex industry environment, both directly and in partnership with industry groups and trade bodies and, to ensure that our company is aware of all current and future opportunities and challenges.
- Advocate successfully for public policy outcomes that create the best possible operating environment for Beam Suntory’s iconic global brands and their production.
- Pursue public policy outcomes that foster the growth of our brands, distillery and visitor’s center assets.
- Advocate for public policy outcomes that reduce discrimination faced by spirits through legislation and taxation.
- Build and maintain relationships with constituency MPs, MSPs and UK and sector relevant UK and Scottish Ministerial offices and government officials. Develop and foster relationships with opposition parties.
- Build, maintain and manage consistent and proactive engagement with political representatives in U.K. and Scottish Parliament – including MPs, MSPs, researchers and staffers from constituencies where the company has operations or production.
- Also with officials and policy leads in relevant government departments eg. DEFRA, DBT and government agencies – Scottish Enterprise etc.
- Local government engagement in Scotland on specific projects eg. planning and development
- Management and development of strategic corporate partnerships with business chambers, policy institutes and higher education institutions in Scotland.
- Represent the company at meeting and working groups of U.K. and Scotland business and sector trade associations.
- Devise, develop and implement campaigns in support of key policy objectives – taxation, responsible consumption and marketing, circular economy, infrastructure etc.
- Monitor and evaluate legislative developments affecting our company and industry.
- Support U.K. commercial leadership on public affairs engagement with our stakeholders eg. General Manager U.K., GM Manufacturing Operations, Head of Distilling Environment etc. through briefings and support with profile raising and meeting attendance.
- Support management and delivery of any external agencies supporting the company on public affairs matters.
- Support corporate communications on crisis or issues management as or when required.
Qualifications & Experience
- Education – Bachelor’s Degree preference for communication, political science, business or a related area
- Years of experience- Minimum 4-5 years substantive experience in public policy/government relations and / or communications
- Level of experience- Experience and familiarity with the UK and Scottish legislative system, corporate industry, and trade associations. An interest in the distilled spirits industry, Scottish food & drink sector, infrastructure and sustainability issues would also be valuable.
- Industry experience- Ideally but not necessary.
- Travel %- regular travel to distillery sites and Holyrood. Occasional travel to Westminster.
Additional skills desired:
- Self-starter must be able to work proactively and independently to be “ahead of the question”.
- Ability to persuasively communicate, orally and in writing, complex concepts and programs to high levels of government and business.
- A diplomatic, hands-on individual with a positive attitude, able to work with senior management, as well as the company’s consultants on specific legislative/regulatory issues.
- Keen interest in legislative and regulatory processes.
- Ability to quickly assess a political/policy situation and recommend a course of action that will produce positive results.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.