Compass Box Whisky
A little bit about us
Compass Box is a special, ultra-premium Blended Scotch Whisky business founded in 2000. We are independent Whiskymakers. Our mission is to inspire moments of joy by making the world of (Scotch) whisky a more interesting place.
The brand is extremely well regarded by those in the know. It was voted as the 5th Most Admired Whisky in the World by Drinks International this year.
We have significant potential to grow. We have begun choicefully scaling the brand in the right way to deliver ambitious levels of sustainable long-term growth. We are still at the early stages of this journey.
We are building a generous, high-performance culture where everyone can thrive and bring their true, authentic selves to work.
The US is our largest market at around 50% of the global business and therefore, a must win market for us. Our right to win in the US is extremely strong. Beyond the US, we perceive substantial growth opportunities in Canada and Latin America, underscoring our commitment to a global presence.
Why we need you?
We need a proven Commercial Leader who can deliver our ambition in the Americas in a manner consistent with Compass Box’s brand positioning, ultra-premium pricing strategy and company values. This requires the development of focussed strategies for growth, agility and world class implementation. We want a Commercial team in the Americas that is highly motivated and empowered to make a real difference, working closely with the rest of the business. This is your opportunity to create an incredible legacy in an entrepreneurial and fast-moving business that cares about its people and its products.
Who will be right by your side?
You’ll report to our CEO, Maurice. You’ll also be a valued peer within the Leadership Team and will be expected to play a key role in the broader business. We are one Compass Box team and we do not operate in silos.
Where it all happens?
The role will be home-based in the US. It is expected that you will travel regularly to our key markets in the Americas. The global office is in Richmond, London and you will travel there from time to time.
Your fantastic team
You’ll lead the Commercial Team for the Americas which consists of a team of 8.
You will have some important responsibilities
- Work alongside the CEO and other members of the Leadership Team to help steer the overall business to ensure delivery of company objectives.
- Develop focussed, choiceful strategies for ambitious growth in the Americas. This will cover where to play in the Americas and how we can win. A growth plan is already in place but we want you to shape and own this. Our expectations for business growth are higher than before so we need someone comfortable masterminding and landing change plans. As part of this, you will have an ability to identify and execute strategic changes as required.
- Ensure consistently high levels of implementation of the agreed commercial strategies to deliver financial results and a high return on investment.
- Lead the Americas Commercial Team. Ensure a high performing, highly engaged team that feels inspired, empowered and motivated to make a real difference as part of the wider Compass Box business.
- Accountable for delivering revenue and profit targets in the Americas supported by comprehensive understanding of gross to net revenue management and awareness of how mix impacts our profitability
- Manage the relationships with our Distributors and our Third Party Logistics Provider in the US. This involves ensuring we are working with the right partners and that they are managed and engaged in such a way that we can deliver our distribution and depletion goals through them. Ensure their goals are aligned to ours and that we use fully all available data to drive performance.
- Deliver Pricing Goals consistent with our business strategy and premium pricing positioning.
- Alongside the Marketing Director and team, agree the right Brand Building Investment to maximise return on investment.
- Accountable for planning our business in the Americas via our S&OP process and ensuring full understanding of the relationship between depletions, distributor inventory levels and shipments.
- Lead by example, live our values and behaviours and act as a positive role model for others in the company.
A bit about you
- You have a positive energy and a can do attitude. You’re quick to identify opportunities and make great things happen fast. You inspire others to see opportunities, not barriers.
- You have a proven ability to think strategically and execute effectively.
- You thrive in the more agile environment of entrepreneurial roles/companies vs the bigger, more traditional businesses.
- You love developing, empowering and coaching your commercial team.
- You take responsibility and deliver on your promise.
- You believe in teamwork and know that egos are better left at the door. That’s why you love to facilitate the success of others (rather than just your own). It is about the “we” rather than the “i”.
- You’re open, transparent, collaborative and inclusive, and love working cross-functionally to achieve the overarching business goals.
- You are analytical and use data to drive actionable insight and therefore higher business growth.
- We’re fuelled by creativity and curiosity, and we want you to be too!
- You are comfortable taking risks, and communicating the pros and cons of doing so.
- You love our brands as much as we do!
Here’s what we’re looking for professionally speaking
- Successful commercial leadership experience in the US Premium Spirits Industry.
- Proven experience in scaling premium craft spirits brands in the US a must. Experience in scaling brands in Canada and/or Latin America helpful.
- Cross-functional experience in Marketing would be advantageous as our growth will be demand-led.
- Successful experience in entrepreneurial roles/companies with a desire to work in this environment.
- Excellent leadership, communication and influencing skills. Great at stakeholder management.
- Proven ability to build, inspire and empower teams including experience leading teams through change.
- Proven track record of developing individuals to become more than they previously imagined possible.
- Extremely strong business and financial acumen.
Want to know more about us?
And finally, the most important point of all: Everybody is welcome. And we mean everybody. Whatever your background, we want to hear from you. If you’re interested in working with us, we’re interested in working with you.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity further, simply click apply now, and a team member will be in touch to discuss the next steps. The job advert will close on 8th December 2023.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.