The Artisanal Spirits Company
The Artisanal Spirits Co (ASC)
ASC’s purpose is to captivate a global community of whisky adventurers, creating and selling outstanding, one-of-a-kind whisky and experiences around the world with an ambition to create a high quality, highly profitable and cash generative, premium global business.
Based in Edinburgh, ASC owns The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS), Single Cask Nation (SCN) and J.G. Thomson (JGT), as well as operating a cask storage, bottling and logistics facility in Scotland. Owning over 17,000 casks primarily comprising Single Malt Scotch Whisky, ASC’s stock includes outstanding whisky (and other spirits) from 150 different distilleries across 20 countries which is sold both as individual bottles and whole casks.
Established in 1983, SMWS currently has a growing worldwide membership of over 40,000 paying members. With an established global presence in c.30 countries, SMWS operates a direct-to-consumer model (90% of revenue) primarily through e-commerce, in addition to four member rooms in the UK. SMWS provides members with inspiring experiences, content and exclusive access to a vast and unique range of outstanding, expertly curated, single cask Scotch malt whiskies.
Purpose of the role
This role will lead the delivery of technology programmes across ASC, oversee the technology within the day-to-day operations and drive the Data strategy and delivery across the business.
This is therefore the opportunity for the right person to build a best-in-class ecommerce operation within a growing business and a respected global brand as well as bringing in-house the data service from a currently outsourced provider.
The successful applicant will work closely with the Exec and as a member of the Senior Management Team operate at a senior level, displaying the values and ethics of the business, as well as directing future Tech & Data strategies and influencing key operational and strategic decisions.
- Lead on solution design for all technology projects in the business
- Create and manage a technology roadmap for the business (across a two – three year time horizon)
- Work with leaders across the business to identify commercial growth opportunities that can be unlocked through technology, and cost challenges that can be solved through the application of technology.
- Lead a tech team focussed on both supporting the operations of our business, and managing our data
- Build and manage relationships to third parties that can help deliver or accelerate our tech roadmap (including contract management)
- Ensure that all projects are completed according to time, cost, and delivery requirements.
- Drive the Data strategy and service of the business – initially in-sourcing the Data service from the current outsourced provider and defining other requirements
- Work closely with the wider business to build a clear Data service provision – an opportunity to improve the current service and streamline the offering
- Anticipate and proactively resolve problems; and support the team and wider business with resolution of blockers or impediments to delivery.
- Create documentation and lead on management of risks, actions, issues, and decisions.
- Work to extract the best possible performance of our software products.
- You will have extensive experience of solution design within established businesses i.e. where you are not starting from a blank sheet of paper, but rather have some systems in place and have proven experience in making smart choices as you build tech solutions for the future
- An interest in whisky, spirits and the business of the industry is hugely advantageous – as is experience of ecommerce and/or the hospitality industry
- Experience on Data provision within a business, ideally reviewing and implementing strategy regarding
- You will be a hands-on self-starter who can lead projects, from initiation to successful completion, as the most senior delivery team member.
- You will be able to demonstrate that you have managed and co-ordinated several projects simultaneously, with a high degree of independence
- You will have experience influencing and engaging stakeholders outside the tech function
- You will have experience of team leadership, and ideally of building a strong culture within a tech team
- Solution design
- A good communicator.
- Adaptable and empathetic.
- Adept at managing expectations.
- Driven, structured, with attention to detail and a dedication to resolving issues and problem-solving.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.