Frugal Bottle is a paper wine bottle made from 94% recycled paper with a food-grade liner to hold the wine or spirit. The bottle is produced by British packaging company Frugalpac, who claims that it has a carbon footprint up to 84% lower than a glass bottle and a third lower than a recycled plastic bottle when taking into account manufacture, use, transport and disposal.
Frugalpac chief executive Malcolm Waugh said: “Our mission is to design, develop and supply sustainable packaging. The Frugal Bottle is up to five times lighter than a glass bottle, has a carbon footprint up to six times lower and is easy to recycle again.
“We want to deliver great wine and spirits in innovative packaging whilst helping our customers and consumers reduce their impact on the environment.”
The bottle can be refrigerated and keeps the liquid cooler for longer and the first wine to go on sale in the Frugal Bottle is from the award-winning Italian vineyard Cantina Goccia. 3Q is an unwooded Sangiovese red with a hint of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.
There are six reasons why the Frugal Bottle is unique.
- It’s lighter. The Frugal Bottle weighs just 83g so it is up to 5x lighter than a normal glass bottle, making it easier to carry and lighter to transport.
- It’s better for the environment. An independent Life Cycle Analysis by Intertek found the Frugal Bottle, which is made from recycled paperboard with no chemicals, has a carbon footprint up to 6x (84%) lower than a glass bottle and more than a third less than a bottle made from 100% recycled plastic. The Frugal Bottle’s water footprint is also at least four times lower than glass.
- It’s easy to recycle again. Simply separate the plastic food-grade liner from the paper bottle and put them in your respective recycling bins. Or you can put the whole bottle in your paper recycling bin and the liner will be easily separated in the paper re-pulping process.
- It uses less plastic than a plastic bottle. The Frugal Bottle uses up to 77% less plastic. Only 15g compared to a 64g bottle made from 100% recycled plastic.
- It stands out. As the Frugal Bottle is made from recycled paperboard, it allows for 360-degree branding across the bottle. No other wine or spirits bottle looks or feels like it, so it stands out on shelf and table.
- It’s better for wine producers. The Frugal Bottle can be produced in the heart of their bottling facility, offers complete freedom on design and print, is more cost effective to transport while reducing their carbon footprint.
The Cantina Goccia Frugal Bottle will initially be available to buy online from www.cantinagoccia.com and in Scotland from Woodwinters Wines & Whiskies retail stores and online.
For Reference – from Inside the Cask:
- Drinks Industry Sustainability Index
- Drinks Brands taking the Green path to sustainability
- More Brands Going Green