From premium own label to big brands of bubbly, the consumer champion Which? has revealed their best buy winners for Christmas, on the December 2019 issue of their magazine.
The Top 3 Which? Best Buy Champagne brands are Piper Heidsieck and Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label with a 81% score given by the wine expert panel and Waitrose & Partners Brut Champagne with a 80% score.
The tasting was conducted by the Which? wine expert tasting panel including the co-chairs of the International Wine Challenge (Charles Metcalfe pictured below and Peter McCombie), two Masters of Wine (Sam Caporn and Peter McCombie once again) plus international wine judge and author Helen McGinn and wine taster, author and journalist Kathryn McWhirter.
The experts blind-tasted eight supermarket own-label and exclusive champagnes and seven top-selling big-name champagnes, all ranging from £11.50 to £35.
Top 3 Champagnes Best Buys
Piper Heidsieck Brut Champagne, 81%
Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Champagne, 81%
Waitrose & Partners Brut Champagne, 80%
For the full results, full feature with write-up on the champagne brands tested – all of which are non-vintage (NV) – and the Bottom 3 Worst Buys: click this link to Which?
Full Table of Champagne Scores by the Which? Wine Expert Panel:
- 81% Piper Heidsieck Brut and Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label
- 80% Waitrose & Partners Brut
- 79% M&S Delacourt Brut, Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial and Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Blanc de Noirs
- 77% Lidl Comte de Senneval Brut
- 75% Tesco Finest Premier Cru and Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top Brut
- 72% Taittinger Brut Reserve
- 70% Aldi Veuve Monsigny Brut, Asda Extra Special Louis Bernard Premier Cru, Co-op Les Pionniers Brut and Spar Marquis Belrive Brut Reserve
- 68% GH Mumm Cordon Rouge
- 67% Lanson Black Label Brut
- 59% Morrisons The Best Premier Cru