Republic of Fremantle is a grape to glass distillery with an overarching local focus. The distillery will contribute to the ongoing reinvigoration of the West End of the historic port city, Fremantle in West Australia and feature a substantial front of house operation, from tours, to make your own micro experiences as well as a full hospitality offering.
With apparatus to distil vodka, gin and other spirits that reflect the natural resources of Australia’s South West region – the distillery’s from scratch ethos offers a unique opportunity for a head distiller to oversee the entire process using state of the art facilities featuring a Mueller crafted 2000L still with 2 columns/35 plates and a 230L gins till and Siemens operating system.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a distillery at its inception, with ambitious international growth plans and room to substantially contribute to development of our brand and future of the Republic.
The Head Distiller will oversee all aspects of production and will be responsible for the day-to day management of the entire gin and vodka production from wine to bottled spirit and has a key role in promoting our brand and ethos.
In time, other spirits will also be developed with the head distiller central to all plans for future spirit innovation.
- Production Planning ensuring availability of required quality stock levels, and maintaining a strong relationship with suppliers
- Implement processes and deploy quality standards to optimise product quality to achieve and maintain a global recognition for quality
- Proactively drive improvement in quality of the distillery’s spirits and to promote a strong positive quality culture of continuous improvement.
- Support compliance with all global food safety and mandatory legislative requirements thus maintaining key contracts with new and existing customers
- Undertake research and development of new recipes and products and to enhance quality and consistency of existing products
- Benchmark our quality systems with comparable organisations to ensure that best practice is adopted and maintained within the company.
- Collect and manage operational data for inventory control, budgeting and accounting, taxation and regulatory compliance.
- Engage with front of house operations including presenting and educating trade and consumers about distilling and our promote our products
• Attend local and international events, trade shows to further promote our brand and products
As a leader, you will share and promote our ethos and reputation for quality possessing:
- strong leadership and management skills with a record of accomplishment in leading teams
- a sound knowledge of distillery safety requirements
- excellent organisational skills, attention to detail and problem solving skills
- ability to think on your feet, multitask and adapt with flexibility
- professional, calm and decisive under pressure
- confident and engaging in communication, presenting and public speaking
Preferred requirements You will have strong technical skills reflecting our ambition to be a premium from scratch producer including:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Chemistry or related Science field
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the Distillation process or related industry
- Strong analytical and systems acumen pertaining to the operation of a distillery
- Ability to detect and describe aroma and flavour fluidly and effectively communicate and articulate sensory experience.
- Wider hospitality industry experience
BENEFITS: Competitive salary and incentives, negotiable dependent on experience.
TIMELINE: Please submit your resume to:
call John McVeigh (pictured below – far right) on +61 (0) 417923 796 by Friday 11 January 2019 with a planned start date of Monday 18 March 2019.
Note: This is a copy of the job description issued by the Republic of Fremantle Distillery
For information on this development, click on this link to Adin Lang, Councillor for Fremantle City writing on the development