- This event has passed.
November 27, 2017 - November 30, 2017
DFNI Conference November 2017: Oceans of Opportunity
Embracing the tide of travel-retail prosperity across Australasia and Oceania
DFNI is set to land on Australian shores in November (27-30) for its third conference in 2017, which will be held at the Westin in Melbourne.
As Asia/Pacific duty-free sales continue to represent steady growth and diversity – last year the region generated sales of $27.59bn, up 9.1% compared to 2015, according to Generation Research –Australasia and Oceania are expanding as particular areas of interest to growing numbers of regional and global travellers.
Oceania is a diverse and vibrant region comprising the region between Southeast Asia and the Americas, including Australasia and the Malay Archipelago.
In Australia alone, the duty-free industry turns over in excess of $700m per year, according to the Australian Duty Free Association and provides jobs and export opportunities to Australian manufacturers. International players have prospects aplenty in this thriving tourism market.
Australasia and Oceania offers promising potential for the travel-retail industry to present international visitors and Australian travellers a combination of international brands, new and innovative product lines, retailtainment and high quality service.
The 2017 DFNI Oceans of Opportunity Conference will feature a top line-up of speakers who will discuss developing opportunities, to help you:
- Drive sales from a range of passenger nationalities
- Overcome the various challenges to conducting business in the region
- Learn lessons (and avoid mistakes) from the experiences of retailers and brands
- Gain exclusive and up-to-date consumer insight research
- Understand the latest regulatory movements
Together we will take a closer look at the factors behind what is driving this growth and which developing areas will be significant for future opportunities.
Investment is high in the region with Melbourne airport expanding retail space by 30% and creating a vibrant retail precinct that mirrors the city’s shopping experience with partner Dufry. Sydney airport boasts what is said to be the world’s largest airport duty-free store where Gebr Heinemann is breaking the mould of the traditional walkthrough concept.
Elsewhere in Oceania, Angkasa Pura Retail in Indonesia is embarking on a duty-free drive to open outlets across its largest airports. In addition, Malaysian travel retailer Dimensi Ekslusif has attributed strong performance of its perfume and cosmetics store at Penang International airport to an influx of Chinese tourists.
In New Zealand, travel-retail revenue is on the rise at Auckland airport, which is preparing for the opening of the final duty-free stores from its new operators Aer Rianta International and Lagardère Travel Retail from mid-2017.
More luxury lifestyle brands are moving into the region, looking to capitalise on the increased opportunities as the global travel-retail market is predicted to double sales by 2025. This event will review the evolving and expanding opportunities in this key travel-retail market.
- Regional overview of the Australasian duty-free market
- Update on travel and tourism opportunities
- How key international arrival points are changing – case-studies on Sydney, Melbourne & Auckland airports
- Retail pioneers and newcomers to the region
- Regional airport focus: Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Christchurch & Gold Coast airports
- The smoking gun: lessons learnt from tobacco restrictions
- Chinese passengers – what do they want?
- Oceans of opportunity – driving sales from the growing South Asian traveller base
- Category innovation and associated opportunities: health/wellness, wine, etc
- Countering threats: Tourist refund scheme versus downtown duty-free stores; arrivals shopping & pre-order
- Cruiseline focus
- Designing the perfect retail terminal